Monday, September 27, 2010

Dress Code

My dad works out of his basement. He's a brilliant consultant/financial expert type. Originally, my parents moved to Columbus for him to oversee an office there. A few years later, business on the horizon in central Ohio still hadn't materialized, so the office was closed. But, my dad was already settled there, traveling quite a bit on client matters anyway, and not really eager to move to the Reston, VA area, so they let him work from home.

He often goes down to the basement in the morning without changing for the day first. This lets him get a jump on the morning. When burnout hits, he goes for a run with the dog (time permitting), then showers and dresses. People who work from home can do these sorts of things, I suppose. So, most mornings, if we go downstairs to say good morning to Poppa, he's wearing pajamas. Fancy pajamas with matching button-up tops.

When we were in Ohio in March, Evelyn went downstairs one morning to say hi to Poppa. When she came back up, she insisted that he was "wearing his suit." She was quite sure, and I was confused since I was relatively certain he wasn't even wearing a polo shirt and slacks, never mind a suit. I checked, and sure enough, he was in his pajamas. His matching pajamas. With buttons. And lapels, of a sort. This, in Evelyn's mind, qualified his attire as "a suit." She's a little confused about dress code.

Last night, Hyrum, Evelyn, and I wore our pajamas to dinner. John wore his suit. I think he is similarly confused.


2 comments:

Melanie said...

I love pj days!

Emily said...

Emma,

I wanted to ask you a question, and thought it best to introduce myself to you first – I used to live in NYC and moved to New Orleans 2 years ago to pursue my MBA at Tulane. I’ve been reading your blog for some time. I don’t recall whose blog I was reading that linked to you originally, sorry! Here’s my question – my parents also live in Columbus, OH and my dad works in finance and strategy. I was wondering if you’d be willing to connect my dad to your dad so my dad could network with your dad? My dad’s company is really struggling and it seems as though my dad will not make it through the next round of cuts. Really terrible, and my dad is a brilliant, hard working person and has his MBA from Duke. There are 4 stakes in Columbus (they are in the Columbus OH stake) so there is a chance they’ve never met. I know this is a LOT to ask of a stranger, but my family has really been praying for some time for new opportunities, and today when I read your post, I thought it was worth a shot. My email address is emily (dot) roberts6 (at) gmail (dot) com. Again, I know this is very unusual but wanted to reach out just in case you might be willing. Many, many thanks!

Emily