Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Running buddies

Usually, I run all alone. This week, though, I have had running buddies. Both days. Yesterday, Evelyn came with . . . and so did a lingering rainstorm. I was really proud of myself for sticking with the full 5 miles, in the rain and pushing the stroller. I might need to rethink the white long-sleeve t-shirt for rain running, though. Luckily it was just sprinkling at that point, so I didn't get totally soaked.


This morning, I ran with a bunch of firefighters. OK, so really, I tried to run around them, and then ran in front of them (luckily, they took a slight detour, which put a bit of separation between us). There must have been a hundred of them, all in matching red sweatsuits. Other than the fact that they totally clogged up the esplanade, they were great running buddies, with the ones at the back yelling for the ones at the front to get out of the way and make room. Made me feel a little self-conscious in my spandex pants, though, once I did get around them, to know they were all about a quarter of a mile behind me. All in all, it was a good experience. I felt a little New York pride seeing them all running like that, with the two guys in front holding up flags.


* * *
April 27
John, laughing. "You really should come in here. It's so funny. I mean, she's crying, but it's hilarious!"
Daddy is SO mean! Did you hear that Evelyn? Daddy did that, not Mommy (in his defense, I think it just happened when he was changing her clothes, but then again, he didn't exactly jump to correct things).
April 28
Mirrors are one of Evelyn's favorite things right now. Ruth let us borrow this turtle toy, and it has a mirror on its stomach. Every time she sees herself, she starts giggling. I first identified her new love of mirrors while in the dressing room at H&M. I noticed that she seemed particularly happy, but I had no idea why (don't knock a good thing, right, just change, change, change as quickly as possible). As we were leaving, I finally realized, she was laughing at herself in the mirror. For about 10 minutes straight. This has also livened up laundry time, since I usually carry her back and forth with me, and there is a bit of a mirror by the elevator as well as a reflective surface (not really a mirror, but shiny enough to see your reflection) on the elevator's ceiling. I would have posted a video instead, but it seems the only thing more fascinating than a mirror is a video camera. Oh well.
April 29

7 comments:

k. said...

I will be your running buddy.

Laurel said...

really too bad you don't take your camera running...a picture of those firefighters would not be a sad thing

Lauren said...

Don't you love running in Central Park - I love the 5 mile loop.

Very cute pictures!

Carma said...

I loved the pictures. Evelyn is becoming more enchanting all the time.

AOlson said...

Running with good company is always nice. Evelyn is as beautiful as always.

Megan said...

Too bad we aren't closer, I would love to run with you and Evelyn. We would make quite the scene, your stroller, my double jogger and Libby on her bike....

Kaedi said...

Oh how I wish I still lived blocks away from you... I'd be your running buddy!