Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Question of the day

So, if you were out and about at Macy's or Bloomingdales or some other hot New York destination, and you saw someone with a baby dressed in a green onesie and HOT PINK pants and hoodie, would you automatically assume that baby was a boy? Would you feel the need to ASK whether the baby was a boy or a girl? I find this very odd . . .

And may I just say, if that does happen to you and you also ask how old the baby is and the mother says, "two and a half weeks," please don't proceed to lecture her about how she shouldn't be taking a baby that young out in public. She has obviously made what you can only assume is an educated decision to take her child into public and is probably carefully washing and purelling her own hands and not letting any strangers touch the baby and just wants to get out of the house because frankly, the baby doesn't LIKE sitting around staring at the same four walls all day; in fact, it makes her fussy after awhile. So really, feel free to say how cute the baby is or make little "aw" noises, but the unsolicited advice? Restrain yourself. :) If you don't, you might just get a snippy comment in return, because hey, those postpartum hormones are killer. That's all.

13 comments:

Linda said...

Amen Sister!!! AZ Linda

Anonymous said...

crazy New Yorkers...actually, those rude people were probably transplants...wait, I take that back...crazy New Yorkers. I was mistaken for a homeless person once...I'll tell you all about it. Well, your doll is a doll - Dan and I really do plan to celebrate with you guys soon! :) xoxo, Di

Christina said...

People are always asking me what my baby's gender is. She is perpetually dressed in pink from head to toe so it is always amazing. I know this is New York, where anything goes, but come on. Those oh-so-helpful suggestions about when and where to take your baby won't stop any time soon either!

Kaylynne said...

I have to agree with Linda

AMEN

Kaedi said...

I love this post. LOVE it. I too was lectured the whole first month with Sydney. The lady at the dry cleaners gave me an ear-full for taking her out in public before one month and also for using A/C in our apartment (hello, it was 100 blasted humid degrees at the time). I've also had multiple people ask whether Sydney is a boy or a girl... all while being wrapped up and smothered in pink. What gives?!?

Glad to hear you're up and out of the house. It makes such a difference! Sydney and I were going to pop over today, but yours truly lost your number. Will you call me so I have it again??

Brooke S said...

I guess this must happen a lot... by brilliant sister (cousin Mary) was so out of it for her twin preggo that she thought blue was the appropriate neutral color for girls....

They now wear a lot of purple, green, and of course pink.

Just be careful or you will get the RSV lecture.... which Christopher's aunt had and still wanted to hold my baby... who will be 2 next week...

You know, Emma, someday we'll actually have to meet, seeing as you got married within a week of me and you married my cousin that is closest in age to me.

Good luck! And I agree with the epidural and the other thing. :)

Kerstin said...

love it! Can you feed me some of those witty return comments? I seem to always be tongue tied when moments like that happen and one of these days I want to fire something back.

Brooke S said...

I just thought of a funny comment from a movie.

"Is it a boy or a girl?

Gosh, I hope so!"

(Dennis Quaid in Undercover Blues)

Nancy said...

emma - i'm flying to NYC tomorrow and should have some free time at the end of the week - are you up for visitors? ice cream? something?

The Bryner Family said...

Better get used to the "what sex is your baby comment," those will keep coming for another 10 months, no matter what you dress her in. It would probably also help if you told John not to wear his own hot pink pants and hot pink hoodie when you go out in public with your baby, as cute as I'm sure he looks in them.
Also, just remember you live in New York, which isn't exactly renowned for being baby crazy; that was probably the first baby that lady had seen in public in five years; so you could have told her your baby was 8 months old and she probably would have believed it. That will stop the "you shouldn't take the baby out in public" comments.

Great pictures by the way.

Christian

The Bryner Family said...

Emma,

Just so you know we are taking our 8-day old baby to church today.
So, when that lady tells you stuff ask when she took her baby out in public for the first time and how soon it got sick from staying at home with sick siblings.

Unknown said...

Yeah, the only time any of the 5 of us ever got sick as tiny babies was when Lawrence got something Charles brought home . . .

Brossettelewis said...

HA! ditto to the AMEN. I was going to post just that exact thing.