Monday, January 24, 2011

Worth every penny

I tend to be either a drastic saver or a drastic spender. When we were first married, I think I went almost 2 years without buying a single item of clothing. Lately, I've been living more on the "spending" side of that line, but it's hard to harbor any regrets since everything I've bought recently seems destined to make my life better in meaningful ways.

I have developed a testimony of properly fitted European bras. If you live in the New York City area, do yourself a favor and visit Intimacy on 64th and 3rd or 90th and Madison.

Saturday, we bought a chair and ottoman for our living room. When our home teachers come over three months from now, maybe we won't have to all sit awkwardly on the couch together. Here's a word problem for all you elementary school math nuts out there: If I ordered furniture on December 27 with a 11-15 week lead time and then ordered more furniture on January 22 with an 8-10 week lead time, when will two trains leaving Ohio and North Carolina meet in New York?

Formula? Expensive, yes, but Hyrum gained 3 pounds in his first 6 weeks on the stuff (while eating only the minimum amount of fluid his pediatrician says he needs) making it worth its weight in gold, or chub, I guess.



Earlier this month, I bemoaned the expense of dating. This weekend, John and I went on the first of the dates he planned as a Christmas present to me. As a result, topping my list of recent spending that was worth every penny?
Two taxis,


two macarons,


two planetarium double feature tickets,


two sandwiches,


and four hours of babysitting.

5 comments:

Melanie said...

Truman had the same result when we started supplementing with formula. almost 2 pounds in 2 weeks. As opposed to his measly 2 pounds in 2 months. But our boy downs about 8 oz every time he has a bottle. Not to mention all the fruit, veggies and cereal he eats too.
Sometimes you just have to spend! although I was never one for the taxis. I think in all the years we lived there (with the exception of the airport) I took a taxi 3-4 times. Just couldn't do it.

Christina said...

Dates are cheaper than therapy, no?

TheTaffs said...

I totally feel you on the formula. I have no official weight measurements since we have one of those ancient scales with a dial on it but I'm pretty sure he's up three pounds in three weeks as well. Costco is my best friend because he loves their formula and its about half the price.

Cassie said...

Not counting shipping time (unknown data), the Ohio Shipment will go out March 14-April 11. The North Carolina shipment will go out March 19-April 2. So you need to not leave the apartment from March 14 til April 11. Good thing Sarah's wedding is in February!

Jill said...

Please be sure to tell John that was the best gift ever.