Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Why we don't like January

In the past three days, I
-cleaned up from having guests
-took a load to the storage unit and ran a 10-foot freestanding ladder/staircase into my foot, then switched all our stuff into a different storage unit by myself with a screaming baby
-did all the laundry from having guests
-dropped my phone in the bathtub while bathing pee-covered baby at the same time I was getting Evelyn breakfasted and dressed for school, then spent an entire day trying to get it replaced for something less than full retail value (no insurance)
-deep cleaned most of the apartment
-made an exchange at Macy's, which involved taking both children to three different floors looking for the item, then having several deep philosophical discussions with the salesman on thrilling topics such as "Why didn't your husband see this ink on the sleeve when he bought the coat?" and "Are you sure this slightly smaller size of trench coat will still fit him?", after which I waited approximately half my life for him to find his manager, interupped partway through by going to a fourth floor to find a bathroom for Evelyn, which led to another meaningful discussion about "Why is it so stinky in here?"
-started the process of getting one of my two broken strollers fixed
-missed my husband (away for two days on a business trip), my inlaws, and my sister+husband+baby. Lots.

Although I wouldn't exactly have called it restful, I really enjoyed the last two weeks of December and much prefer vacation to most of January so far. I think I'd like to trade in real life for more vacation, please.

Good thing we're headed to Utah for a week next month. Hopefully, the trip will involve more family jammie time and less interaction with customer service representatives than the past three days.

4 comments:

k. said...

I swear, a washer & dryer in my apartment would solve 97% of my problems.

January is always a bummer. Always.

Anonymous said...

It often sounds as though you are longing to return to work outside the home. If so, is there a way to work it out-- at least part time?

CValentine said...

Dear Kathryn,

I bought a house and the washer and dryer in the basement solved 97% of my problems. Now I have 97% new problems. Darn.

Careen


Dear Emma,

I am also missing my sister+husband+baby. The only difference is that I am missing my sister+husband+PRINCESS+baby.

Careen

Anonymous said...

Doesn't that depend on if the pajamas are defective and require customer service support?