Since we received the house used, some of the various accessories were missing. Notably, the father and the children. So, last Christmas (2009), we gave Evelyn a family for the house. The former childless, husbandless Mommy became the Careen (probably because my sister is the only person Evelyn could think of with redish hair).
Everyone got along fine for a couple of months. Then, one day while we were living in Washington Heights, I realized that the new Mommy was gone. I asked Evelyn about it, and she seemed unconcerned but had no idea where the doll was. I kept an eye out for a few months and was convinced she was truly lost.
This was problematic because, in the interim, the Careen started doing all sorts of things she should NOT have been doing. Like, sleeping in the bed with the Daddy, for example---always fully clothed, and usually with robes on, but still! Hussy.
Luckily, John rediscovered the real Mommy during our move back to the east side. She happily took her place as cohead of the household once more, and things were fine again. But that Careen always had a certain glint in her eye, a kind of look that made me think she didn't like being shoved aside for the second time. I could sense a tension, and I figured the Careen and the Mommy would have to have it out eventually.
A week or so ago, Evelyn brought this to me after quiet time.
Score one for the home team.
1 comment:
I feel like I should be offended.
Post a Comment