Friday, January 7, 2011

In response to Anonymous

Someone commented on my January doldrums post asking whether I should reconsider entering the paid workforce since my blog often gives the impression that I would really like to return to work. When I get comments with questions, I sometimes email the commenter in response to their question. However, since this question was left anonymously, and since I think it would be nice to air the issue a little anyway, I thought I'd respond here.

If you know me very well, it will not surprise you when I say that I am not and do not ever aspire to be perky. The first time I told John he was "unique" (said with vocal inflection implying the quotes), he got a little offended. But in my family, and especially among my sisters and me, "weird," "odd," and "unique" are compliments. "Perky," however, is something we avoid. We have some dear friends who manage to be perky but not shallow, who avoid pride and retain sincerity despite their perkiness. It's not a balance any of us can strike, so we shy away.

I have a sort of radar that goes off when a blog post gets too sickly sweet or too braggy. I know some of my posts are that way, but I try not to overdo it. As a result, the section of my life presented to the world here is more venting, less basking in the glory of how fun it is to be me; it's an incomplete picture of how I feel about my life as a whole.

The moments that warm a mother's heart, and they happen every day, often do not find their way onto this blog. The best ones are crafted into little notes I send my kids for them to read later. My line between what is and is not too personal to share with the WWW is drastically different from that of many people I know. I'm much more likely to put stories out there about the bad and ugly than about the good. So, this blog would likely leave readers with the impression that I'm a little dissatisfied with my life whether I were working or not.

In fact, at this point in my life, I am more confident and happy in my decision to be home with my children than I have ever been. That's not to say I wouldn't like to return to work someday. I fully plan on doing so. If my profession were one where I could work a few hours a week, spend minimal time away from my children (no more than 2 short to normal-length days), genuinely enjoy what I did, and still make some money after paying for my taxes and childcare, I would strongly consider it. I have yet to find anything that comes close to meeting those requirements.

Even if a plush opportunity existed, I would have to think long and hard about taking it. You won't hear me talk much about my personal feelings on the issue of parents staying home here or anywhere else, but I do have strong feelings on the topic as it relates to those in my particular situation. (If the previous sentence in any way offends you, just assume you're not in my particular situation; that was about as politically sensitive as I could make it.) On a more practical level, I think any marriage can handle 1.5, maybe even 2 jobs well. John's commitments often amount to what seems more like 2.5 jobs. It's a lot, and I think trying to add onto that would significantly decrease the happiness level in our home.

Just because I choose to stay home, however, doesn't mean it's always easy. If I worked, that wouldn't always be easy either. There are frustrations and challenges no matter which path you choose, and with regards to the last post, specifically, I don't think ANYONE likes to spend hours on the phone with customer service representatives, pay hundreds of dollars to replace something that was working fine 8 hours ago, or take small children to department stores. My husband did some of these same things over the break, and he was about ready to pull his hair out, too. Working outside the home wouldn't make any of those tasks less annoying, and they would still all need to be done.

Everyone has to find a way to get through the tough days and the rough patches. For me, what I personally most want when stuff happens is just to feel like I'm not alone. So, I call a friend, or I call my mom, or I write a story about how annoyed I was that someone cursed at me for taking my kid on the bus, and I send that story out on the internet. Maybe someone will read it and tell me they've been there. Or maybe someone will read it who hasn't been there, and then, when it happens to them, they won't feel so alone. And maybe, just maybe, that can make it a little easier for all of us.

14 comments:

Christina said...

Very well put Emma. I think this is why I love your blog (and you!) - it is refreshingly honest. Thank you!

k. said...

I love you & I'm glad that you're my friend, because I admire you in about a zillion & 5 different ways.

Anonymous comments are stupid (not to mention cowardly).

The Doig family said...

Good said, Emma! I had a couple of women teachers in high school who asked me what I wanted to do when I grew up. When I told them I hoped to be home raising a family, they told me it was an extreme waste of talent. Though I did pursue education, and though I hope I have and will share my talents outside my home, I feel now more strongly than then that the greatest use of my talents is in loving, nurturing and teaching the next generation.

Jill said...

I appreciate your thoughts Emma & love your point of view. Keep your thoughts coming, I love you & your blog.

Jill said...

Also, I would like to add that while you may not be perky, you are perfectly pleasant.

Unknown said...

Thanks for all the kind words guys. I actually don't think anonymous asked a bad question, especially since I feel like this isn't someone who sees me on a regular basis. And a thoughtful question deserves a thoughtful answer, right?

:)

Wait, scratch the smiley. Too perky.

Megan said...

Well said Emma. Your week sounds about like mine; 4 different Macy's department stores in 2 days with a toddler and no stroller...oh and my phone fell into the bathtub too.

Anonymous said...

Does this mean if I ask questions anonymously, I'll get a blog post about each one? That's one blog post right there. Right? (That's 2.) I'll have to come up with some really important, deep questions...wait for it...won't I? (3 and counting.) Did you know your sister's blog doesn't allow anonymous comments? (4. Feel free to write the post associated with this question as a legal brief on privacy concerns in the internet age.) I happen to like the safety and security my anonymity provides. For example, right now you probably have no idea who wrote this...right? (5.) That's because my anonymity is almost as good a disguise as Superman with glasses, right? (6. This blog post should be in comic book or graphic novel form.) Speaking of which, if Superman wore glasses instead of Clark Kent wouldn't he be able to use them to focus the two laser beams from his eyes into one, more powerful laser beam? (7. A post that Scientific American would be proud to publish.) This brings me back to my original point: lasers...that is where I started...right? (8. About ADD and in the form of a medical treatise. Like Hippocrates of old, but less stuff about leeches, please.)

Unknown said...

@ Anonymous:

Dear Charles,

No, it does not. You have to ask a thoughtful question to get a thoughtful answer.

Sincerely,
Emma

Anonymous said...

You can't just unmask the superhero like that. It makes the world less safe for everyone.

Brice Family said...

"Working outside the home wouldn't make any of those tasks less annoying, and they would still all need to be done." Amen to this! For instance, I am not thrilled that it has taken one online renewal and THREE all-day trips to the DMV just to renew my driver's license ONCE.....a license I still do not have. I deeply, passionately hate the NYC DMV. My guess is that hatred is probably not related to whether or not I am working outside of the home. :)

Julia said...

I loved this, and I love that you aren't stuck thinking the grass is always greener. I appreciate your honest posts. And I really liked what you said about how having a job doesn't make all the other stuff go away.

JustnAsh said...

I just want to let you know that I particularly enjoy reading your blog and your sister's blog despite not being about to leave anonymous comments on the latter.

Oh, and by the way, "perky" must not be a Barrett trait. I know from experience.

erin said...

i like you emma. a lot. i especially enjoyed paragraph 3. i remember walking along east-60-somethingth street with you one day and talking about this, and right then and there i decided you were probably the smartest woman i knew. i am bookmarking this, and when my words fall short, i will direct others to your eloquence. brava.