Friday, January 28, 2011

Faith

I am a girl who likes to have a plan. Right now, I can roll off when I want to have my next child, then the child after that. I already know what furniture I want to put into my bedroom a year from now and the kids' room a year after that. I want to buy a car, but not until early 2013. I have vacations scheduled for one, two, and three years from now. I am an obsessive planner. Life seems determined to beat it out of me, and I am apparently just as determined not to let it.

Faith is a tricky thing for those of us who like to have a plan. Today, someone close to me received good news. In this news, I could finally see how God had arranged many intricate pieces to fit together in a simple, elegant solution to some troubling problems. I could see how things that seemed like trials at the time (and were!) led to blessings that would not have been possible otherwise. I realized what He had been aiming for all along, and I felt a little guilty for second-guessing from the sidelines a few times along the way.

So today, for a moment, I listen. I am still. I acknowledge, once again, that He is God.

3 comments:

Haylee said...

Thanks Emma, I really needed that reminder today.

MaryBeth said...

I like it when that happens.

Becky said...

That was beautifully said Emma. I needed that reminder too. I'm glad you shared that.