Thursday, June 17, 2010

Good riddance

There are few tasks more thankless than cleaning an apartment you have just moved out of. This is especially true if you have to bring a newborn and toddler and then do the first chunk of cleaning with the newborn strapped to you. Luckily my incredible mother-in-law was there to help. We swept, then wiped everything down with Lysol and called it a day. Hopefully our efforts will get us back most of our security deposit. Hey, a girl can dream, right?

If I'm being honest, I have to say I would be very glad never to walk down that block again. There are many lovely blocks and neighborhoods in Northern Manhattan. This was not one of them. Neighbors setting off firecrackers in the street between 10 pm and 6 am EVERY NIGHT for five nights before we left and a sign on the front door offering a reward for information about a mugging INSIDE the building were the final straw. I was happy to come home from the hospital to our new apartment.



The farewell to our old apartment isn't the only goodbye I've said in the last week. I've also bid adieu to those last few pregnancy pounds. My postpartum weight loss secrets? Have a baby, move, and be hospitalized again all within a 2.5-3 week period. The stress does wonders for your metabolism.

I personally think it is not worth it. Especially since you will be too busy to do your hair or put on makeup, so it's not like you'll be looking good, Although fitting into most of my normal clothes is a nice bonus.

And of course, you may then gain it all back eating to stay awake during the day after getting up with your newborn all night, but at least you can say you lost it.

1 comment:

k. said...

I have leftover banana pudding!! Come over & I'll help you put on some lbs with me. :)

Your life has been sort of surreal for the past few weeks... (although of course you've handled it like a champ, minus that time you wimped out & had to admit yourself to the hospital - geesh). Here's to hoping it's nice & peaceful for the next SEVERAL months. Or years.