Sunday, January 17, 2010

It's going to be a long wait . . .




We talk a lot about summer at our house. Approximately 3-5 times per week, Evelyn asks to wear shorts.
Me: "No, we can't wear shorts. It's cold outside. When do we wear shorts?"
Evelyn: "In the summertime!"
We have similar conversations about her rain jacket. In the winter we have to wear coats. In the summer, we can wear jackets (spring and fall haven't really entered our seasonal vocabulary yet).
A month or so ago, we were driving past the new Yankee stadium on the Harlem River Drive, and I told Evelyn I would take her to a baseball game. She vigorously latched onto this idea, probably mostly because I told her you get to eat hot dogs and ice cream at the baseball game.
"We will go baseball. We will eat hot dogs. And ice cream. In the summer. And wear shorts."
You may have heard that we're having a baby at our house. Also, coincidentally, in the summer.
Yesterday, Evelyn and I used some gymbucks to buy her swimsuit. Since then, she has not stopped asking to try it on. John finally caved and put it on her before dinner tonight.
Unfortunately, eating barbecue chicken is not really a new-swimsuit-friendly activity. Evelyn informed me that she did not want to take her swimsuit off and eat dinner. She wanted to go swimming. Also unfortunately, we don't swim in the winter.
When do we swim?
You guessed it. In the summertime. Only 5ish months to go!

6 comments:

Melissa said...

You can always practice in the bathtub until summer comes! I just love her hair.

critts said...

You just need to move to Texas (and as a bonus we could have regular poolside playdates). While it has been a lot colder than normal so far this winter, we are back to 70 degrees and sunny. I am already feeling the springtime itch.

Charles said...

I'm going to the beach tomorrow. It's going to be a cool 89 degrees and 90% humidity. Now that I have practically nothing to do, I figure, "Screw it; I'm going to the beach." I would take pictures, but someone would steal my camera while I went swimming, so...

Brooke S said...

any indoor pools in NY? We go on Friday nights - for $.50 - also I have a child that dresses himself - everyday in shorts. The condition is that he has to put on pants to go outside, if it's cold...

Need to come visit? It's almost shorts weather here. :)

Laurel said...

Not so long now. Only 5 weeks! Plus cherry limades. Visiting me is so fun.

Nancy said...

Awesome comment, Emma. I am glad that I am not alone. I have asked a couple moms at work if it was normal for Baby to go completely bonkers after she turned one and none of them seemed to know what I was talking about.

I am not looking forward to summer myself. LA is more tolerable in the winter.