Thursday, March 5, 2009

Update

Although the doctors were initially hoping my dad would be able to come home Wednesday, his punctured lung worsened Tuesday night, and they had to put in a chest tube. At the time, they told us this meant he would probably be in the hospital for about a week. When I talked to my sister this morning, however, she said he is improving, and if things continue to go well, the doctors may be able to remove the chest tube as early as Saturday.

My mom and Lucien attended his first hearing Wednesday morning. His lawyer advised her not to let him go back to detention. His reasoning was part scare tactic; the police have since said he was mistaken, but in any case, my mom and dad did not feel they could take the risk of sending him back since virtually all the other boys detained in that facility were 3-5 years older than he is. She ended up trying to take him to a short-term stay overnight treatment facility last night, but after several hours of waiting, the facility was unable to help, so he spent the night at home. Our bishop (spiritual leader of our congregation) arranged for volunteers from the congregation to stay overnight at my parents' house just in case.

Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers.

15 comments:

Katie said...

Emma your dad and brother will be in our thoughts and prayers. Hopefully your dad will have a speedy recovery!

Anonymous said...

o emma, i'm sorry to hear about all of this happening. of course your family is in our prayers!!

Suzi said...

you guys are in our prayers. I hope your dad improves quickly!

MaryBeth said...

Emma, what an extremely ---insert appropriate word here --- situation for your family. You all will be in our thoughts and prayers.

TheTaffs said...

We love you guys and are thinking of you and praying for your family.

k. said...

In my prayers, a few times a day.

xo

Bobbi said...

Emma, I just read your blog today and heard about this. What a difficult situation for your family. I am praying for your dad's quick recovery and for the rest of the family and the difficult decisions that lie ahead. Hugs

Nancy said...

emma i'm so sorry to read about this! we will be thinking of you and praying for you and your family.

kellyclay said...

Emma, continued thoughts and prayers for your Father, Mother and little brother!!!

Anonymous said...

Emma! I had no idea! I am so sorry. I will keep your dad and family in my prayers!

eyre blog said...

Emma...what in the world! I am so sorry for your dad. You are in our prayers and Noah just told me he put you in touch with his dad so I hope things work out well. I need to just call you...

Brice Family said...

Emma,
I am really sorry to hear about the incredibly heart-wrenching situation your family must be going through right now! I am so glad it sounds like your dad is going to be ok, but what a difficult thing to go through. I hope you are doing ok, and that your parents are given a miraculous amount of strength to get through this time and to be at peace in spite of all the turmoil. Your brother especially will be in my thoughts and prayers. 10 years old is so young, such a fragile time in life--I hope he is able to find his way.

Kaedi said...

Emma, I'm so glad we could connect yesterday, even if it was just 30 min at the busy museum. Your family will definitely be in my thoughts and prayers.

Anonymous said...

Oh Emma. I will pray for your family. How is Meara?

erin said...

thinking of you and hope you are doing okay.