Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Toddlersize

Evelyn completed her 10-week gymnastics course for 12-24 month-olds today. She got a special certificate (which she did not want to put down but which she did want to crumble into a little ball and chew on despite Mommy's pleas to "Don't bend it, sweetie. Let's save it and show it to Daddy!" Lucky Daddy.)

I initially signed Evelyn up for this $31/session set of 10 classes (and this was one of the least expensive options) thinking it would be a good way to get us out of the house one morning a week during the winter months. I also thought maybe we'd meet some other moms. I knew it would be mostly nannies, but I hoped. The first week, there was one other mom out of five kids total. They dropped the class to sign up for a music class instead when her son spent the entire time running over to the boombox corner and begging to sing the hello song again.

The experience was a bit of a lesson in why many other programs, such as the 92nd street Y, wait until 18 months to start any sort of group gymnastics class. Evelyn was still a little young to want to focus on much other than finding the fluffiest mat she could (under the uneven bars) and rolling around on it. The first few weeks, she also loved climbing into the octagon-shaped mat and refusing to get out. However, she did pick up a couple new skills:

-excellent balance beam walking (with a spot, although they have one that only sticks up a couple inches from the floor, and for the first time, today she took a few steps on that without help)
-excellent balance beam crawling (knees on the floor, one leg on either side of the beam, hands on the beam)
-assisted forward and backward rolls
-trampoline bouncing (still a little early for jumping)
-shaking the bar
-holding onto the bar (sometimes)

All in all, it was a relatively good way to try out the concept of kid classes on a short-term basis, and it was fun to see her do some of the stuff, especially the balance beam. Since we're out of town two weeks this month, one week next month, and one or two weeks in May, we didn't sign up for the next session, but we will likely be back during the winter doldrums of 2010, if not before.





Sadly, these were the only pictures I could get her to take with her "coach". I know, I know.

3 comments:

Jill said...

she's so cute. what an active age... no stopping her. i think classes are such a good idea.

emily said...

So cute. Have you heard of Creative Play classes? They do them all over the city (classes used to be held in our building for the Upper East Side). They are drop in classes (you can buy like 10 at a time) and just use them whenever. So if it's freezing or too hot to play outside...you just drop in. M LOVED these classes and so did I. Plus I met a lot of really good friends there. If you'd like me to send you the link, let me know. BTW, the class includes singing, dancing, scarves, parachute time, shakers, etc. And I think this is the LONGEST comment I've ever left on anyone's blog :-)

CINDI said...

she appears to be reading that certificate very closely. is she making sure they spelled her name right?