If you are interested in Barrack Obama's economic policies, you may want to read an editorial published in today's Wall Street Journal by Michael Boskin, a professor of economics at Stanford University. Mr. Boskin argues, successfully in my view, that Obama's economic policies will be both detrimental to our pocketbooks and crippling to the economy as a whole. On the margin, the take-home pay of millions of Americans, many of whom live in high-cost regions, will decline by one third. Yes, that's a 33% decrease in take-home pay. Additionally, Obama is proposing higher taxes on dividends and capital gains, as well as a protectionist trade agenda. The combined effect of these economic policies could turn our mild recession into a depression. Worse yet, we would forfeit much of our individual economic freedom to the state.
Here is a chart detailing Obama's proposed changes to our tax rates and a link to Mr Boskin’s intriguing editorial.

To me, the fundamental concept of freedom includes allowing us to make our own economic choices. Sadly, the government is already making up to half of our economic choices for us. I believe we need more economic freedom, not less. Especially now. This is not the point in an economic cycle to introduce higher taxes and tariffs. We need tax reductions, not increases. We need to address the deficit with spending reductions, not higher taxes. We need to tear down trade barriers with other countries, not embrace protectionism. While we may be fatigued and frustrated with George W. Bush, we should make sure we're embracing the right kind of change. While I like the "idea" of an Obama candidacy, I cannot support his economic policies and cannot, in good conscience, cast my ballot for him in November.
6 comments:
I totally agree! Less taxes, less government. I can't vote for Obama and make a move towards a socialized government.
I am so glad that I am not the only person that feels this way. I was really leaning towards Obama until I learned more about his tax policies. It's too bad really because I find McCain's voice really annoying, and if he wins then I will have to hear it even more :) I'm willing to make that sacrifice in return for lower taxes though.
and here we are starting to see the dying of my interest in democrats. someday i might have a job and actually have to pay taxes. though i'm really commenting on your post john because i think in the entire life of this blog, you've probably contributed about 3 and so i want to give you positive reinforcement. you even put in an almost-picture:)
John, so glad that you are keeping us focused here was it is coming down to the wire. Keep up your contributions to the blog. Glad there is someone in the family to talk political stuff with now.
it's been an ongoing 'discussion' (dan tries to school me in politics, but whatevs...) and since i'm definitely a 'swing-voter' i'm having a hard time with this. but (just playing devil's advocate) what other solution do we as Americans have with a 400 TRILLION dollar national debt? (i'm assuming you've seen the latest finance reports for the outgoing Bush Admin...)
nice post by the way - maybe something light-hearted next time...like religious fanaticism or globalization and market competitions. lol. :)
thank you, thank you, thank you for this post. I am so glad you were willing to put this on your blog. Everyone needs to know this information and for that reason I'm putting it on my blog (with credits of course) :-)
Post a Comment