Tuesday, March 11, 2008

5 months, 2 weeks - suggested activity

Not every activity transfers well to city living. I think I'm going to pass on this one. When I think of the things I sometimes see on the streets . . . Shudder.

Treasure Hunt

The impulse to group things together starts at an early age, and your baby probably already has a few toys or trinkets that he likes to take along on trips. Cultivate that collector's instinct by going on a "hunting" walk, a particularly enjoyable pursuit on a warm evening after dinner.

Skills developed: fine motor coordination
What you'll need: a large bag or basket

Weather permitting, put your baby in the stroller and give him a large tote bag or basket with a handle to hold on his lap. Amble slowly up and down your street, pointing out anything interesting you see, whether it's an unusually large seed pod or a colorful leaf. Pick it up and put it in your baby's basket. Pretty soon he'll start using his pointing skills to show you what he wants to add to his collection. (Of course, stay away from small round objects that could pose a choking hazard or any plants that could be poisonous.) When you get home, glue the finds onto paper to make a collage and hang it on the wall.

9 comments:

Kaedi said...

Awesome idea! Lets do this for playgroup one afternoon, whaddya think?

Oh, and we started rice cereal yesterday. It is a hit for sure.

Isn't it wild they're eating solids now? Just yesterday they were fussy and had to be held every second... ;)

Brooke S said...

What does the street outside your building look like? Just in case I'm in the area and want to find you! ;)

Unknown said...

I mean, I guess you could do it in central park, but when I saw it, all I could think of was the more unsavory things you see on the streets of NYC.

Kaylynne said...

I think that idea would be better for older kids to keep them interested while going on a walk.

Lauren said...

Interesting. As a mom of three I would say - just go shopping. You have a very small window before you will be spending all your time schlepping the kids to school, classes and squeezing in visits to the park.

Stores tolerate cute little babies (even when they cry)- not the wiggly toddlers trying to escape from their strollers and 4 yr olds hiding in the clothes racks.

o charm said...

that's really funny. i'm afraid i wouldn't be doing that activity around my parts, either.

k. said...

Uhm, gross.

I had a mystery substance all over my shoe yesterday when I got home. We won't talk about it, but it came from the street. Eww.

Anonymous said...

How "indiscreet" of you to talk about the filth on the streets. My uppity Mormon sentimentalities were deeply offended by this obscene content. I feel as morally sullied as the time I accidentally watched a PG movie (sigh). Anyways, I need to go for a walk now because sitting with this big stick up my butt is extremely painful.

Anonymous said...

Emma, a troll on your blog? Seriously??!!?

I live in the suburbs and wouldn't be interested in picking up things off the street and handing them to my baby. Yuck!