Thursday, October 4, 2007

Let the Games Begin


Today is my official expected due date, which of course, means that today is the one day I think we can pretty much guarantee I will NOT have the baby. So, I'm now officially taking bets. I'll be induced Thursday night to have the baby Friday (Oct. 12) if I haven't gone into labor before then. If we are to believe the internet, October 5 (tomorrow) is the most common birthday. Of course, the source cited for this proposition also hypothesizes that this happens because the approximate conception date for this birthday would be New Year's Eve. That shows how little this source knows. The approximate conception date for October 5 is actually sometime in mid-January (due to the fact that conception actually occurs at the end of week 2 of the often-cited 40 weeks of pregnancy). And in any case, I doubt I will be that lucky.
I'm somewhat optimistic, though, so I'm going to jinx myself and thereby probably ensure an induction on the 12th by guessing October 8. In the meantime, yes, I'm walking, yes, spicy food, yes, yes, yes to all the other stuff, but my personal opinion is that if going into labor were that easy, no one would ever be induced. Frankly, I really think it's just a waiting game, a chance at the outset of parenthood to come to an early realization of the fact that we are no longer in control of our own lives.

9 comments:

Jill said...

i've was thiking about you this morning! can you believe THE day is finally here? :) now we'll see when she really decides to come. I am so excited for you!

Julia said...

I am going to guess the 7th.

I read an article in the Times several months ago that said that the most common birthday in the last couple of years has been in late December for the obvious tax reasons (because so many people have scheduled inductions or C-sections now). It said that this was a very recent thing, and generally the most common birthday is in mid to late September (holding to your theory). I will try to find the article, but frankly I think that September and December theories hold up a little better.

Anonymous said...

Go have sex... There, I said it!!! (And the key part is you have to stay down, if you know what I mean- no showering, etc.)Sorry if I embarrassed anyone. And "not feeling like it" is not an excuse!If you ask me, it's a very advantageous trade off for extra days of pregnancy. (Worked for me.) If your body is ready, this can get things started. Just DO IT, baby! I triple dog-dare ya!

Brossettelewis said...

YAY Emma. I came to see if there were any pictures...I'll check back later. I can't wait to read how things went. I am happy she is here. Also, thank you for the package that arrived here today.

Anonymous said...

I heard the news!!! Send pictures:)You need to come to Tennessee so I can see the baby and you up close. I haven't seen you in forever. You can just live down here so that I can babysit. Or I could fly up there everyday just to babysit.
Brierra Palombo

Just one tall girl named Laurel said...

I hear baby has arrived! Very exciting! Love the blog and LOVE the baby room! Adorable! A million congratulations!

Will and Natalie Giddens said...

Well dang, I was getting ready to place a guess, but it looks like your little girl beat me to the punch! Can't wait to see pictures and hear how labor and delivery went. Congratulations!!!

eyre blog said...

You basically called it. Or jinxed yourself like you mentioned. We are SOOOOOO happy for you. Can't wait to see her. Get some sleep!

Brossettelewis said...

Come on now, we need pictures.... sleep shmeep. John can post.