So, apparently, staying up virtually all night when you are pregnant as part of a marathon effort to file a brief that should have been finalized days earlier is a bad idea. Word to the wise. A few days after a marathon session that led to the filing of this beautiful brief in Medellin v. Texas,

I started developing a rash. Like any paranoid pregnant person, I called my OB, where the nurse told me put Benadryl cream on and watch it for a few days. It's probably PUPPPS, she said, a rash many pregnant women get, especially toward the end, for which there is no known cause or cure. If you still have it Monday or Tuesday, call and we'll refer you to a dermatologist. When blisters started to appear, I began to doubt her judgment (also, that Bendryl cream? not even taking the edge off). I did a little research of my own and came to the conclusion that I had developed . . . wait for it - shingles.
Hold on, you say, isn't shingles relegated to people with autoimmune diseases and those over 50? Who gets shingles in their 20s? Excellent point. The doctor told me I must be under too much stress and I should try to destress. Ha! Between an unreasonable partner at work, virtually no progress to date on renovations that need to happen before the baby comes at home, and general pregnancy craziness, I think that's unlikely. Ironically enough, a few minutes later, he then proceeded to get into a fight on the phone with my OB because she had apparently slighted him by taking an inordinately long amount of time return his call. In his defense, it was a long time, and his office had called three or four times, making it clear that they were waiting to speak to someone before letting me leave; hopefully she will have forgotten by the time I go in for my next appointment Monday.
In the meantime, I'm on my way to shell out a chunk of change for antiviral medications that may or may not work, since they're supposed to be started within the first 72 hours. I've now had this for over a week (a big thanks to the nurse who said to watch it for a few days and the dermatologist's office that needed a couple more days to fit me in). Sigh. At least I can take comfort in the fact that I only have ten weeks and two days until maternity leave.
6 comments:
You poor thing!! My brother had shingles (also a lawyer - is this an occupational hazard??) in his 20s too. Let me know if I can help you with anything. Those ten weeks will FLY!
Emma I am so sorry you've been sick!!! That is horrible. I hope you get feeling better asap... now get some rest. :)
Sounds horrible! I hope the expensive medicine works.
ouch! Being pregnant is hard enough without shingles ... hope you feel better soon!
Emma, I am so sorry that happened to you! Get some rest, de-stress, and take it easy. :)
Well sweets - take a chill pill and let things go. I know not a part of your make up, but try to find a way. Remember the what is really important and what isn't. If somethings don't get done it is okay.
Post a Comment