Hyrum had his 9-month well check yesterday. He is 19 pounds, 6 ounces, and 27.75 inches, or 35-40th percentile in both height and weight.
He is very social.
He sits like a champ, stands relatively well, and does not crawl. Or scoot. Or roll from back to front.
Some kids go straight to walking, a few friends have suggested.
I doubt that will be the case here.
He's just too happy, I told the pediatrician, when she told me to sit him in a wide straddle, then place something just out of his reach to try to encourage productive movement. ("Something he actually wants," she said, "like your blackberry or the remote.") He'll look at it, make one swipe, realize he can't reach it, then play with something else for 30 minutes. No other toys or electronics in his sphere of influence? No problem. He can contentedly while away some time pushing around lint on the rug. Which is developing his fine motor skills, right? So I probably shouldn't vacuum my floors too often?
I guess if he never "amounts to much" it will be my fault for not figuring out how to instill in him the angst that pushes us to achieve. But he'll be so happy that he won't care and so cute that I won't either. "Do you have any idea how cute your kids are, objectively?" the pediatrician asked yesterday. "I mean, you're their mom, so maybe you think you're biased. But really. Have 10 more just like him."
Speaking of fine motor skills, he can empty a tray full of puffs as fast as any 9-month-old I've seen.
Now that I think about it, he's going to be just fine.
5 comments:
maybe we can trade some tips/pointers? I'll give you scooting/rolling tips if you can give me some tips on a happy/content baby?? :o)
My little girl sat early and then was just content to sit. Her thing is she is very independent...she was going to do it all on her own when she was good and ready. She finally started crawling after she was a year old (she never went through a rolling or scooting stage), and walked around 18 months. Some kids are just happy not to move as much, so enjoy it while it lasts. :)
There are 2 babies, in our ward, who are the same way, that were born the same time as Hyrum, to good natured for their own good! I was talking with them a week ago, about it. Laughed when I read your blog saying the same thing. Babies develop at their own pace! Hyrum looks like a super sweet baby! Would love to see him some day!
aunt betty
Dillon empties the tray full of puffs, probably as fast as his cousin. Only, he isn't putting them in his mouth. He's putting them on the floor. That way, every puff he eats gets some floor seasoning. I hear they're better that way.
As far a crawling, scooting, etc., Dillon is also unmotivated. Although, I think his disinterest stems more from his 27 pound load than from good-naturedness.
20 months. That's how long it took Cat! He'll get there eventually. I promise.
Cat was playing "cheetah" tonight and running around like a wild animal (ha!) tonight. I thought to myself "Yeah, and I was concerned about her not walking."
It will happen.
Post a Comment