Saturday, February 26, 2011
Reflections on turning 30
What I don't have
-A car
What I do have
-A rockin' stroller
What I don't have
-Laundry in my home
What I do have
-The ability to wash up to nine loads simultaneously
What I don't have
-A perfect body
What I do have
-A husband who treats me like I have a perfect body; also, great abs and nice ankles
What I don't have
-A scintillating career
What I do have
-Lots of time with my children and good friends with whom to celebrate and commiserate the former
What I don't have
-A bigger house than 90% of my friends and family
What I do have
-Sufficient space to comfortably accommodate our growing family
What I don't have
-Unlimited cash
What I do have
-More than I need, enough of what I want
What I don't have
-Perfect children who are always obedient and well behaved
What I do have
-Two kids who are a wonderful mish-mash of John, me, and their own little selves
What I don't have
-A perfect marriage or a husband who always lets me do what I want
What I do have
-A partner who shares my beliefs and my long-term goals, who truly wants to make me happy, and who doesn't let me walk all over him in a misguided attempt to please me (which would never work anyway, if we're being honest)
-Also, a Costco membership, a doorman, a new kindle to replace the one John gave me for Christmas 2009 that I left on an airplane in March 2010, and seven birthday desserts (a four-dessert "tasting menu" family party arranged by John, including macaron from Financier and cheesecake lollipop from David Burke, plus three desserts at dinner)
Basically, on turning 30, I pretty much have it made. Not because my life is perfect. It isn't. But it's got enough of the good stuff and the bad stuff to teach me what matters. If I can't find happiness in all that, I don't deserve it. So, here's to the next 10 years, which will probably be mostly filled with the same stuff as the last three plus a few new adventures. I'll raise a cupcake to that.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I'm loving your blog lately. And this was just a brilliant post. Happy birthday to you, friend. Love you lots.
I'd love some abs, please. Mine went away 17 months ago & haven't made it back yet.
I'll raise a cupcake to that as well, great post! I'm so glad you had such a wonderful birthday! It looks like you were treated like a queen, exactly what you deserve. Happy Birthday to Emma!
Happy birthday Emma, it looks like it was fun! xo
Happy Birthday!!
Post a Comment