Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Keeping it real

It snowed last night, and for the first time this season, a dusting stuck around. So, if I were a good mommy blogger, I would have some cute story about baby's first snow and how my son and I spent precious time together introducing him to the cold white stuff.


Instead, I am going to tell you how I really spent my morning.

This story begins a few days ago, when I noticed a slightly off smell in the laundry closet. (A whole 1/3 of a closet for laundry! I know! Try not to be jealous!) If I hadn't spent every waking moment of the past week running around like a chicken with my head cut off, I probably would have investigated. Instead, I assumed cleaning rags + burp cloths saturated with formula-fed baby spitup were the culprits. I'm going to need to start soaking that stuff, I thought.

Fast forward to this morning. I rolled out of bed on four hours of sleep and cracked my eyes open just enough to make it downstairs with three big buckets of laundry. I presort and pretreat the laundry as I throw it in the hampers during the week, so I unceremoniously dumped the loads into the right machines and started them off, then stumbled back upstairs.

A little later, I went back down to switch the loads to the dryer. I switched the coloreds and darks without incident. As I was pulling the whites out of the machine, though, I noticed that they still smelled slightly funky. Not terrible, but definitely not normal. Then, I saw something that really brought together everything I had noticed over the prior few days.

Much to my chagrin, Evelyn remains only mostly potty trained. She still uses diapers every few days to take care of her business. When she's done, I usually give them to her to dispose of in the (covered) "big trash can." Somehow, two of these diapers had ended up in the white laundry hamper instead.

The sad thing is, instead of being completely and utterly disgusted (which was John's appropriate reaction), I was actually a little relieved, in a grossed out way, to know that the funky smelling laundry is not likely to be a chronic problem going forward. I carefully went through the load, disposed of what should have been thrown away days ago, then put the clothes back in on a super cycle, hot wash, with bleach.

So, if you had a bad morning, just think, it probably could have been worse. And as far as baby's first snow goes, it wouldn't have made a very interesting post. Hyrum was more focused on his feet than on our terrace's light dusting.

2 comments:

Melanie said...

I think you are a brilliant mommy blogger! (And I'm with you on being more relieved than anything *smile*)

Anonymous said...

Inevitable that kids feel mixed about growing up, being clean, staying potty trained, being pleasant. You're smart not to pressure for perfection.