Sunday, April 18, 2010

Nonnegotiable

When we were young, my sisters and I used to love giving Dad "a perm." This mostly involved dotting his head with lots of little barrette-ponytails.

He actually loved it because he could lay on the floor and doze off while getting credit for playing with us.

I have never mentioned this tradition to Evelyn.

A few days ago, Evelyn emptied out all her hairbows, put them into a ziplock bag, and insisted on carrying them around all day. All afternoon, she told me that she was going to put hairbows in Daddy's hair so he could be a princess. I offered to submit to hairbow-pinning and be a princess. Several times. I was rebuffed. Evelyn only wanted to put hairbows on Daddy.

When John came home, she told him about her plan, and he said no. Daddies are not princesses, he said. The nerve!

I told him it was nonnegotiable. There are some things you just have to accept, some things that come with the territory of being dad to a little girl.



8 comments:

Carma said...

Very attractive, Princess Daddy. Evelyn did a superb job as Royal Hairdresser.

Laurel said...

for comparison you really need the picture of dad, passed-out facedown on the floor, with about 50 barrettes in his hair

CINDI said...

john might have met his match in his most adorable girl. great job evelyn.

My Name's Sarah said...

Perfection. Rick also is a princess, but his bald head makes bows a little more diffiuclt.

MaryBeth said...

Fabulous. That last post was from me, NOT my sister.

Becky said...

So cute! And what was he thinking? Of course it's nonnegotiable. How fun!

kellyclay said...

WTG John for being such a great sport!!

Richard Haroldsen said...

I think you found a new look John!