And a very lovely one it was, our first Christmas Eve with just the three of us.
We lazed around all morning. Had German pancakes for "breakfast" (at noon). John convinced Evelyn to fall asleep, unassisted, for nap time within 20 minutes of when he put her down (a minor miracle these days). After nap, we headed over to the Church of the Heavenly Rest for their Christmas pageant, which was perfect. Then, we came home for soup, bread, and cheese. The particulars differed, but these three ingredients, we have discovered, were part of the typical Christmas Eve dinner for both Pretes and Barretts. After that, Evelyn hung her stocking and we read the Christmas story again for good measure.
Then she went to bed. With her jingle bell. Which was confiscated within about 10 minutes.
John and I just finished wrapping gifts and straightening up a little bit, so we're ready to roll. It's only 10 p.m.!
I have to say, I miss our family, both Pretes and Barretts, but I don't miss hurriedly "opening" gifts we didn't even bother to wrap in 5 minutes the morning of December 23, rushing around all day on last-minute errands and packing, struggling with a toddler on a late night flight, and waking up exhausted to unpack on the 24th.
4 comments:
If you miss us so much, why won't you answer the phone.
We are passing the computer around to read your Christmas Eve post. It was fun. We miss the little pooper. Laurel is about to call you to chastise you for not picking up. She wanted to talk to Evelyn about the bath poop.
This and the last post are by Careen...not Laurel. Like I said, we are passing around the computer.
It was hard for us to quit the Christmas travel too. I miss being with tons of family for the actual day. But, it is kind of nice and quiet and cozy to have just your, your husband and your own chidren too.
Hope it was a great day for you three!
Post a Comment