When: Today, on our way back from the pool, 10 minutes past naptime
Where: Uptown 6 train
Evelyn screams vigorously for 2-3 full minutes because I won’t let her get out of her stroller and walk around the subway car. She has been playing with my sunglasses, but now throws them on the ground to show she’s serious. A minute later, she starts playing with the strap on her sandal.
Two stops later, a woman about to get off the train hands her a pamphlet from a local art show. The pamphlet has a flower on the front. As she steps off the train, this kind Samaritan turns and says, “You may think it’s tough love, but it’s bordering on child abuse. She obviously needs something to play with. Child abuse!” She then exits.
Approximately 30 seconds later, Evelyn hands the pamphlet to me because she's having too much fun playing with her sandal to keep track of it.
* * *
Lesson of the day: Only children whose parents mistreat them throw temper tantrums.
Fellow city moms beware: The next time your child is throwing a fit in a public place instead of in the privacy of your car because, well, you don’t have a car, a visit from child protective services could be just around the corner.
9 comments:
She probably didn't even have kids.
Reason #678 why I favor a reclusive lifestyle.
really? Not spoiling your kids is child abuse? That makes me really mad. Child abuse is a very serious thing, if she wants to see an example of real child abuse, she should go on a home visit with my social-worker friend, or even better, go to the burn unit. Tough love is not child abuse, it's character building!
Seriously though, I kind of hate obnoxious strangers who think they know more about your kids than you do.
Are we allowed to cuss on your blog? I've got some choice words for that chic.
Don't you just LOVE random parenting advice from strangers?! Don't listen to one word of it Emma!
Wow. I have heard lots of advice from random strangers, but I think If I heard that from someone I would have been furious. Child abuse. Are you kidding me? Wow.
You just inspired an idea. I'm going to make some tags for all of my mommy friends that say "If I want advice, I will ask for it." You can pin one to your shirt, your stroller, and your child.
Emma,
I am absolutely flabergasted!! I hate nosey people especially when they have no idea how to keep there opinions to themselves!!
Jill what a great idea!! I would buy one of those!!
After moving to the Enchanted state of New Mexico, we've come to realize that people are a lot more vocal about their opinions of parenting than they are in "Zion"... meaning, when we take Chan out to the store with his "shopping buddy", we get various comments like, Oh my, are they making him wear a leash? and I can't believe they would do that. We have various replies to this naivety... "Well, he had a sister, but she was abducted after she ran off in the store" or "His sister was hit by a car because she ran into the street". These comments usually elicit some type of silence. I'm sure we are right up there in the "child abuse" category. But I always say that I love to meet stupid people, they make me feel a great deal smarter. :)
I think people who make comments like that have never had kids...at least not very active toddlers. If I ever see another mommy in a situation like that (like if I had been on that subway) I usually walk up to them and say...I am right there with ya sista!...we all have those days. :)
Post a Comment