Saturday, June 27, 2009

Father's Day


John had a bang up Father's Day this year. First, I let him sleep in on Saturday, a rare treat for either of us round these parts. Then, I planned a fantastic dinner for Sunday (which we didn't eat until Wednesday, but it's the thought that I'm counting). As if this weren't enough, Evelyn and I finished up by taking Daddy on a scintillating tour of our family's latest real estate acquisition. Our city space has grown by the size of a 4x4x4 cubby hole at Manhattan Mini Storage on 62nd street.
I think John was particularly impressed by our new space's fantastic location - 10 feet off the floor, and accessible only with an enormous ladder delicately perched on wheels that appear unable to pivot, convenient when moving it in and out of the narrow aisles.


No, Evelyn, we don't climb the ladder. No climbing.
Oh, well, nevermind.

* * *

I know, I know, we outdid ourselves, but Evelyn was adamant that this year be better than last year. She's grown quite attached to Daddy since last Father's Day. Most recently, she asks for him several times a day in conjunction with requests to watch Signing Time. This behavior initially had me puzzled, partially because she rarely watches Signing Time anymore, but also because even when we do, John almost never watches it with us. Last Sunday, I turned down another Signing Time request only to hear the theme song start up a few minutes later. Little stinker, I thought, how did she turn that on? But the TV wasn't on. The sound was coming from the bedroom. I walked around the corner to see Evelyn giggling with anticipation as John started up a Youtube Signing Time clip on his Ipod Touch. Mystery solved.

Thanks for always making everything more fun, Dad. We love you!

1 comment:

Laurel said...

I'm just surprised she's still having to borrow John's itouch. You don't think she's old enough for her own? Maybe you should just go ahead and get her an iphone.