Monday, September 15, 2008

Making me nauseous right now

Well, you can probably guess.

I can see us, giving up on our city dreams, moving out to a little house in the suburbs with a midsize sedan and a used minivan. It's the dream for most people who start out here, but this sweet vignette gives me a bit of a stomachache. I'm not ready to go.

There is hope. A quick sale of Lehman's investment management business could preserve its value (and John's group) relatively intact. This would truly be an all around win - for the division's clients, for its employees, for creditors of the now-bankrupt parent company, and for an already saturated New York financial unemployment market. That's where our prayers are headed for now, at least. Wish us luck!

* * *

When she woke up this morning, John said, "She doesn't even know."

How lucky is she?


Although I think that's a little simplistic. She may not know, but she can sense. Why else would she be so grumpy today?

17 comments:

Megan said...

I'm so sorry Emma! I've been thinking of you guys today. Prayers for you guys that everything will work out for the good.
It's amazing what our babies can pick up on...even when they have no clue what is really going on. They 'know' something is not right with their world.

Brooke S said...

I too have been thinking about you guys all day... Good luck!!!!! And keep us all posted!!!

Jill said...

my jaw dropped when i read it on the elevator this morning. you're in our thoughts and prayers - i really hope that group buy works out.

MaryBeth said...

Love you Emma.

Rachel said...

Lots of thoughts and prayers headed your way, Emma.

JAMIE said...

Emma, ((HUGE HUGS)). Your family definitely has our prayers.

Katie said...

Emma prayers for you guys, dont give up your city dreams yet! I really cant believe the craziness this year. You guys will come out on top!

Brice Family said...

Hey Emma,
I'm really sorry about Lehman. I hope everything works out. Any chance John would be interested in staying home with Evelyn for a while so you could go back to Debevoise until the market improves? We don't want you to move! But I know you do have to go with what's best for your family...tough issues!!!

Julie said...

I too have been thinking of you guys. Tough times for sure. Things will surely work out for the best!

The Doig family said...

Thinking about and praying for you guys. John would be pretty cute as Mr. Mom, if it ever came to that!

Kaedi said...

Oh Emma, you guys are in our thoughts and prayers.

TnD said...

I will never understand how a billion dollar company goes from profitability one year to bankruptcy the next. It makes me so crazy that the CEOs are allowed to make such fiscally irresponsible decisions for their company. Where are their risk management people and what were they saying? So many peoples lives are affected.

Nancy said...

i've been thinking about you!! fingers crossed!

joywinn said...

Emma, you have been in my thoughts and prayers. Somehow, someway, it all does work for our good. You express yourself so well in your blog. Take care and know you are loved.

Sine family said...

You aren't going any where. If things get bad you can move in with us. It’s not unheard of to have that many people in such a tiny space at least not in third world countries. :)

kellyclay said...

((HUGS)) Emma you and your family are in my thoughts and my prayers.

Anonymous said...

suburbs? um no, you belong in the city. and of course you know you are in our prayers too...