Ever since Charles went away with the car, I have been in a serious funk - withdrawal, as predicted. Thus, almost two weeks and nothing of serious consequence to post. Evelyn has her first post-weaning* cold, and whether or not bottle-feeding has anything to do with it, this one has lasted much longer than past colds. Six days and counting of constant fussiness is enough to make almost anyone crazy, I think. Combine that with a mild case of food poisoning on my part, and the early stages of colds for both John and me (probably from Evelyn), and we've been pretty pathetic over here.
Thankfully, Evelyn and I had given John his Father's Day gift a few days early. We went to see a Yankees/Blue Jays game (no bleachers seats this time). Evelyn did pretty well considering the fact that the game started at her bedtime. I think we made it through 2 hours or about 6 innings. Not bad.
The next day was our last day of car freedom in the city, so we took advantage by going to ABC Carpet and Home in the Bronx to pick out an inexpensive rug for the living room, then continuing on to Ikea. Evelyn was very impressed by their selection of curtains, as evidenced below.
That weekend, we accompanied Charles to DC. We got to hang out with John's cousin Trevor and his family. Barb and Trevor are the best hosts ever. We love visiting them, and little Katie is a great babysitter in the making. Trevor even took a family picture of us on Sunday. In hindsight, I wonder why I thought it wasn't necessary to brush my hair that day? Oh, well.

Last week was full of errands and cleaning up in general. On Thursday, Evelyn and I waited for Shakespeare in the Park tickets (Hamlet). Luckily, Evelyn partially redeemed herself for her behavior the rest of the day by waving for the first few times (to people in line who waved at her, it's still hit or miss though) and figuring out how to click her tongue, which was kind of hilarious. Originally, Dan was going to come watch the Evelyn after I put her to bed while Caitlin and I saw the show that night, but Evelyn was so fussy that I didn't feel like I could do that to him. Also, I was exhausted from dealing with a crying baby all day, and Hamlet is long (although I believe they did a shortened version, it was still over three hours). So, I sent Dan with the tickets and some advice to enjoy his remaining child-free evenings.
Saturday, we began what we hope will be semi-regular tradition of having all the assistant stake clerks and the stake executive secretary, along with significant others, to dinner. This allowed us to break out the leaves on our dining table for the first time, and it went pretty smoothly all things considered. Sunday was Father's Day, of course. Sappy posts about what a great father John is will have to wait until next year, unfortunately. You know how I feel, babe. We were both a little under the weather. Luckily, Julia and Eric had us to dinner, so not only did I not have to cook, but John got a better Father's Day dinner than the reheated Saturday night leftovers for which he otherwise would have settled. Now that I've failed to provide any actual meals on his birthday and Father's Day, I guess I can't justifiably expect much when the comparable days roll around.
And yes, that is my child, eating baby wipes.
* Evelyn decided she no longer wanted to nurse about a month ago (as evidenced by screaming and refusing to eat unless I walked around and bounced up and down while feeding her - a bit awkward in restaurants and other public places). So, I figured I'd give child-led weaning a try and stop forcing the issue. We are both much happier. That feeling of bonding people say nursing gives you with your child? I don't think I ever felt that until I started feeding her bottles. I will hopefully nurse future babies, but hopefully it'll be a little easier next time.
7 comments:
I am glad to see that you and John are taking E's baseball training seriously. Hope everyone gets to feeling better.
I think S and E picked up the same bug (which I now have -- lucky me). Do we have B & N to thank for this? Hopefully by tomorrow we'll be ready to play again!
OH Emma! I can't believe that after everything you went through to breast feed your little one weaned already. And I love to hear you say that now you're enjoying it. And I love the red eyes pic up top. Says so much--almost as much as John wearing a suit at the baseball game...:)
I LOVE that John's wearing a suit to the baseball game!
And congrats (I think) on weaning. I never had that LLL bonding experience, either. It was sweet relief to wean (also at 10 months). I'll definitely give it another shot with the next kid(s) though.
I never had the love for nursing either. I think that there are those that love it, and express it, they just yell louder than the rest of us that say, "yep, we did it, it was cheaper and we were stubborn". :)
What's with the suit?
Agree here on the nursing. Loved it at first and had three champion nursers (even with rough starts). But number four just has never been so hot on it. Loves to nurse if she's standing up or sitting on my lap. We made it nine months but now we're kinda doing the same thing and letting her start calling the shots. Guess some kids are just different. I'm glad things are better for you. You're awesome!
-Becky Watt
(For some reason I can't log in)
Sorry everyone is sickish. That's no fun. But the pictures are cute!
Post a Comment