Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Day trippers

We have soldiered on in our quest to make use of the car. You already heard about last week's beach trip on Wednesday and Sleepy Hollow on Thursday. Friday, Ruth and I went to Costco, sans kids. Ruth took Abbi to day care for the day (note to self: put signing Evelyn up for back-up day care on my to do list), and Charles kindly agreed to watch Evelyn. He even changed a poopie diaper, although I'm guessing he wouldn't want me to advertise that fact. He doesn't seem highly inclined to do it again any time soon. Saturday was our unfortunate trip down to Bryant Park. We had thought about going to Atlantic City (we've never been) or Philadelphia, but I decided I wasn't up to 6 hours in the car with Evelyn.




May 29 - Evelyn getting ready for a day of fun in Sleepy Hollow



May 30 - Charles shows Evelyn how to wear pajama pants in style - as a toga, of course.



May 31 - We're not going to Atlantic City. And you lost my stroller. This is not a good day.




June 1 - In all sincerity, can any toy ever compete with a hanger?



This week, the car has been a double bonus. It has allowed us both to get out of the city and to hang out with Kaedi and Sydney. We miss them so much since they moved to their new hood, but it turns out, as long as traffic isn't bad, it's an easy trip to pick them up in the car. Then, we get onto the freeway up by them, which saves us some waiting in traffic on that end. Monday, we went to the outlets. I find shopping for Evelyn much more exciting than shopping for me. It's easy to buy stuff because she doesn't have to try it on and she looks adorable in everything (of course). Additionally, her outfits are always cheaper than mine. Because of this, I think she's now fully stocked through this summer, next fall/winter, and next summer. Basically, a year's supply. If only I were this on top of my food storage.


June 2 - Excited for a day of bargain hunting at the outlets

Yesterday Kaedi, Syndney, Evelyn, and I returned to Costco. The girls had a fun time not looking at the camera when we tried to take pictures of them in the cart. A few people asked if they were twins, perhaps noticing the twinner sets of sandals we bought them the day before at the outlets? Oh, yeah, and the fact that they're only 2 weeks apart in age.




In addition to freedom in the form of car, Charles's visit has given me freedom in the form of going out at night, a treat I rarely enjoy. I almost feel like a grown-up again, walking around the city when it's dark outside, listening to random and often hilarious snippets of adult conversations, and of course, scoping out the plates of people in local restaurants' sidewalk seating areas (how else am I supposed to know if I want to eat there?). It's going to be hard to say goodbye. We're off to DC for a final road trip this weekend, but we'll be taking the bus back. I think I might go into Charles/car withdrawal next week.

10 comments:

CINDI said...

Is Miss E into ears? It seems that she likes Syndey's. What fun for all to be out and about. You will go through withdrawal when Charles and the car leave.

Kaedi said...

You're not the only one that will go through Charles/car withdrawals! Sydney has been extra fussy since I gave her the news that today will be her last hurrah in the carseat with Miss E. We'll have to make up for it in playdates this month!

Cannon and Kassie said...

Soudns like you've had a fun week! You should check out bolt bus for the ride back from DC. Its cheap, new, has wifi, plugs and plush leather seats!

Unknown said...

Actually, I took the tip from your blog a few weeks ago and already booked our trip back on bolt! John is especially excited about the plugs and wifi.

critts said...

The pics in the Costco cart are just precious! Seriously - could she be any cuter?

Nancy said...

very cute shoes.

Anonymous said...

Cat has a house full of toys that apparently all pale in comparison to stupid plastic hangers.

Lauren said...

Adorable pictures of the girls at Costco!! Are you guys moving? You said it is going to be hard to leave the city.........

TnD said...

I am so sad I checked your blog after the car is gone. I have a great mental list of all the wonderful day trips to do with a car in the city. Next time, give me a call and I will fill up your days and nights with things to do.

Laurel said...

This post was nice. But now I am sad. I keep checking everyday, but nothing new. How sad for me.