Any ambiguity has now been erased.
They are definitely getting married.
We're so excited to welcome Mark into the Barrett clan . . . and to eat cake. Lots and lots of cake. Yummy chocolate cake. And carrot cake. And cheesecake. No, really, we're most excited about Mark.
* * *
February 14
February 15
February 16
February 17
3 comments:
"Jumbo looked into the mirror. I need a hat he said....."
But Evelyn already has a hat.
Lucky Evelyn.
Yahooooo for Careen and Mark! We welcome Mark to the family. I remember when Emma and I became engaged.
Emma had been on vacation in Peru when I decided I was going to ask for her hand in marriage. The day she returned from vacation, however, I didn't pop the question immediately. I kept stressing that good things were worth waiting for and that patience would be required as we made a decision. When I took Emma home that night, I could tell she was disappointed by my rhetoric and my seeming inability to commit.
My intent was not to avoid commitment; rather, it was to ensure Emma wasn't expecting a proposal near-term. I wanted her to know that if and when I asked her, it was because I was in love with her, because I wanted to spend the rest of my life with her--not because I had been talked into it or because it seemed convenient.
The next day, as we were walking through Central Park, I took her to a place where we could be alone, got on one knee, and asked her to marry me.
She was totally surprised. I don't recall what she said first. It was either "Really, are you sure about this?" (in response to my non-committal rhetoric from a day earlier) or "Yes, Yes, Yes."
Anyway, it's fun to reflect on these important memories from time to time.
I don't know...I'm AWFULLY excited about that cake...:)
Post a Comment