Sunday, May 13, 2007

Wherefore art thou, Romeo?

The answer, at least through yesterday, was Lincoln Center. For the first time since I was an intern in the summer of 2001, I finally made it to the New York City ballet on Saturday. John has been somewhat unenthused about the idea of attending the ballet, and since I'm generally pretty lazy, I let his lack of excitement prevent us from going. A couple of weeks ago, I was looking on the website and saw that tickets in the fourth ring (highest up section) this season are only $15 each - and that Romeo and Juliet would be playing for the next couple weeks. We've been trying to get in better dating habits lately, as we prepare for the baby, so I seized the chance and bought the tickets.


Since I'm not at all knowledgeable about ballet, I can't really provide any particularly insightful comments about the performance. In my lay opinion, the dancing was lovely (the person behind me thought so as well - and was not at all hesitant about loudly expressing her thoughts on the matter during and after the performance). Juliet looked as if she were about 9 years old - even compared to the other ballerinas onstage. John's main reaction to the afternoon was to be disturbed by how small her arms were (course, from the level we were at, everything looked pretty small; we did have some binoculars, though, so we got a few up-close looks, too).


After two years of alternately ignoring and mocking my comments about Eve being called "the mother of all living" before she even "knew" Adam much less bore children, John decided that we really are parents this year and therefore, we should celebrate Mother's Day. Great for me. I got french toast for breakfast and pork tenderloin with mashed potatoes, asparagus, and Edy's slow-churned light version of cake batter ice cream (which I highly recommend; it's yellow, one of the limited time American Idol flavors) for dinner. And now, we forge ahead into another week of document review for me, late nights for John, and counting down the hours until next weekend (when I get to go baby furniture shopping in Ohio!).

3 comments:

Christina said...

I got french toast too! Yay!

jenn said...

Hey Emma!

I came across your site when I was blog hopping ... Congratulations on the baby girl! I am SO excited for you guys :") Another NY friend to stalk ... I love it :")

thomas said...

Hello! Brierra and I were so excited to see pictures of you and the baby!!! Brierra says that you should name the baby after her! And that she should babysit for you! Come visit us in Tennessee! We love you!Beth & Brierra