Monday, May 16, 2011
A new era of freedom awaits
Evelyn was never an accomplished napper. She started to move from two naps to one around 9.5 months. Having read all the baby sleep books ever written (which is only a very slight exaggeration), I was certain she could not possibly be ready to take only one nap since she was still almost 6 months shy of the recommended transition point. I fought it for weeks, until she turned 1. Then, I just gave up, and I discovered that one nap is awesome. Sadly, even that one nap was already in jeopardy a year later, but at least she plays well during "play in your room by yourself time."
Hyrum is a much more accomplished napper than his sister, but I knew from the beginning that he would also have to transition early since I don't plan to spend almost 100 NYC summer mornings stuck inside with my three year old so my 13, 14, or 15 month old can nap. Happily, he came to the same conclusion a week or so ago, and all of a sudden, he's ready. So, as of today, I am pleased to announce that Hyrum takes only one nap per day. Even more than the anniversary of his birth, which we celebrate later this week, I see this as the end of the baby era.
As I was typing this post, he turned around and, for the second time this morning (but the first time other than that), said "Hi!" to me. Plus, Saturday a week ago, I'm pretty sure he tried to say "Bye" to the husband of one of John's colleagues. The end of the baby era indeed.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
My kids were not good nappers either. Marc gave them up altogether at about 21 months. Abby at almost 2 on the dot. And although there are days that I wish they would nap because they need one, they never do. But oh how I love my freedom because of not having to cater to a nap schedule.
Post a Comment