Growing up, my family used to do the family reunion scene every year. On odd years, it was Aspen Grove with my dad's side of the family. We're inculcating John and Evelyn to this Barrett tradition next week. On even years, we drove to Myrtle Beach with my mom's side. We usually caravanned. The first time we went, I was riding separately from my grandfather. He had promised to buy me some french fries, so he reached into his wallet to pull out a couple bucks for me. I am told* that I peered over his wallet and then promptly told him, "I want the one with the two and the zero on it." I was perhaps 3 or 4 at the time.
Evelyn has similar inclinations.
Just after we stopped the camera, she went on to say, "Daddy, I want a credit card please." OK, so we coached her a little, but still, I think we're in trouble.
When I was little, the same grandfather used to keep a neverending oatmeal cookie jar. I never opened the lid to find it empty, and therefore, I learned early to ask for "cookie" whenever we went to his house.
Evelyn has been a little trickier (as one must be with parents), but in pursuit of the same goal. Yesterday, she spent a lot of time talking about Cookie Monster. She kept telling me, "Cookie Monster."
Emma: Cookie Monster?
Evelyn: Yeah, okay, Cookie Monster.
Emma: What about Cookie Monster?
Evelyn: Cookies. Eat cookies.
Emma: Cookie Monster eats cookies. Yep, that's right.
This conversation played on a 3 minute loop several times during the day.
Separately, John has been teaching her more advanced versions of her name. She's known how to say "Evelyn" for some time; he's taught her both her first and her last name, with even her middle name occasionally thrown in. She's not perfect, but often if he asks her for her name, then asks her for her full name, she hits the major points of her first and last name.
Friday night, we were walking home from a friend's house. John said, "What's your name?"
Evelyn: Evelyn!
John: What's your full name?
Evelyn: Cookie Monster!
We both broke out laughing and then took her to McDonald's for an ice cream cone. I'm pretty sure ice cream and cookies are perfect substitute goods in most toddler economies, which is probably why she now refuses to list her full name as anything other than Cookie Monster.
*Have been told multiple, multiple times, in fact, which I think must mean that my parents believe this anecdote somehow illustrates something meaningful about my personality.
8 comments:
Cat does the same thing! In fact, whenever I'm checking out, she insists upon sliding her own "card" through the machine. I find the library card works well for that situation, LOL!
And Cat's really good about the "suggestive" thoughts as well. This morning we had a long conversation about marshmallows that ended up (in a round about way) requesting them for breakfast!
Hint. Hint. Evelyn needs to live close to Aunt Cindi. Aunt Cindi could have a never empty cookie jar. I know where to get the cheap oatmeal cookies he always had. Do I need to bring Evelyn cookies when I come to visit in one month?
The only difference is that we have recorded documentation of their requests for money. Cute.
Like Aspen Grove in Sundance UTAH?
Hey, my family is going to Aspen Grove next week too! I won't be around really until Thursday evening, but maybe I will see you there!
Evelyn,
is so precious!!
She speaks so clearly! I love her little voice, and the smart things she says.
She speaks so clearly! I love her little voice, and the smart things she says.
Post a Comment