Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Mother's Helper

Now that Evelyn is 15 months old, we've started to get "the question" again. You know.

* * *
Acquaintance: "I can't how big she's getting! How old is she now?"

John/Emma: "A little over 15 months."

Acquaintance: "15 months, huh?" Significant look at my abdomen. "Any news to share?"

* * *
Come on people! It's just a little holiday weight!

My memories of breastfeeding and entertaining an infant on little to no sleep are still too fresh to be ready to "try" again.

The other day while doing some "internet research," I realized what I need for my next go round. "A Mother's Helper essentially helps out a stay-at-home parent or a family needing extra help while they are home. A Mother's Helper mostly works under some supervision to handle all aspects of child care, errands, easy meal preparation and light house work. Because of the varied duties and because an adult is often in the home as well, the role is different than that of a babysitter, nanny or in-home provider." Childcare.about.com.

How, you might ask, is a single-income family such as ours going to afford this luxury while living in one of the world's most expensive cities during the biggest recession in decades? It's simple, really. We just need to reallocate resources and encourage Evelyn to start doing her share. She's getting there slowly but surely. Examples:

Feeding oneself - one step closer to feeding a younger sibling
Learning to use the ergo carrier

Entertaining the baby




To illustrate the progress she's made, I offer the following example. A few short months ago, Evelyn was total deadweight when laundry time rolled around. Literally. Every Monday would see me dragging baby, bumbo, two hampers, detergent and a pocketful of quarters back and forth alone. Things started looking up after her birthday when she learned to walk. At first, she could walk down as long as I held her hand. Now, she walks to and from the laundry room by herself with only verbal encouragement (No! Yucky! Come with Mommy! Evelyn, look at Mommy! Come over here! No, yucky trash!). Yesterday was laundry day. As is my custom, I sorted through the laundry before putting it in the dryer to pull out items for air drying. I then hung said items on the drying rack in our bedroom and went about my business. A couple hours later, I walked into the kitchen to find the kitchen rug, which I had washed and hung to dry in the bedroom, back in its place on the kitchen floor. Evelyn had gone into the bedroom, pulled ONLY the rug off the drying rack, taken it into the kitchen, and laid it out on the floor in front of the sink. As you can see, this marks a big improvement over her usual throw-everything-on-the-drying-rack-into-a-pile-on-the-floor routine.

In fact, come to think of it, at this rate a second child could be closer than we think.

8 comments:

Brice Family said...

Lol. By the way, I just want to clarify that I truly ONLY asked if you were thinking of having another baby soon because you mentioned looking for a bigger apartment. I hope I didn't accidentally imply anything by the question. You look fantastic as always, and I would really be the last person on earth to suggest there is any one ideal timeline for anyone to follow!

Unknown said...

Ha ha. You actually were not one of the ones I was thinking of at all. :)

Rebecca said...

People were asking me about our plans for a second child within a couple days of Ariana being born. To which I of course replied, "Are you insane? No one in their right mind would ever voluntarily go through that again." Apparently time is suppose to make the memories fade...we'll see.

Katie said...

Miss Evelyn is still a baby, I can't believe people are asking if you're thinking of another.
I got pregnant with Ellie when Maggie was 18 months, at the time I thought M was so big, now that Ellie is almost 15 months I realize she is still so little.....take your time if you can ;)

CValentine said...

Funny. That kitchen rug thing is awesome. She has good genes.

Elizabeth said...

Emma -
You look great!

I was thinking the same re: another baby just a few days ago. I cannot fathom how people have more than one in NYC!
XOXOXO to the family!
-E

MaryBeth said...

Umm, how much would you charge for for me to take Evelyn off your hands for a bit. My bathrooms could use a good scrub down and since Tatiana continues to brush her teeth with toilet water, Evelyn could definitely earn some money here, thus leaving you with some time to pop out that second child ;)

Laurel said...

Hmm...I was listening to a talk by President Monson the other day about how whatever you put in a child's head during the first 8 years is there to stay. You really should think about investing this time wisely. Sign her up for foot massage classes, cooking classes, joy of cleaning classes. Laundry folding. Bed making. There are so many possibilities. Or you could just let her come stay with me. I'll teach her how to eat candy.