I called John in desperation, and a brilliant thought came to me. We could do something! We could go out! This is, after all, one of the most exciting cities in the world. Surely, we could snag tickets somewhere or a dinner reservation someplace nicer than a diner - something. Forget the budget! I decided that, three months or more after finding out about both these things, we must celebrate the promotion and the baby. Now. Not tomorrow. Not next week.
So, I went home, showered, got dressed, and John came to pick me up for dinner at One If by Land, Two if By Sea (name taken from Paul Revere's Ride, Longfellow). It is widely heralded by many sources as one of the most romantic dinner destinations in the city. As I discovered, they also serve a killer beef wellington. Even leaving all the mushy stuff out in a nod to our less romantically inclined readers, it's amazing how much 5 or 6 courses with a bite-sized cookie and peanut butter brownie at the end can improve one's outlook on life. We even took cabs both ways. For many, this might seem completely normal. I think the last time John and I took a cab when it wasn't pouring rain was probably over a year ago. And despite almost dying with a cabbie screaming up First going 50 mph, you know what, it was wonderful. I now highly recommend pretending to be rich for a night as a mood lifter - there's always easy mac when tomorrow comes.

2 comments:
You deserved a splurge! Good for you. Do it as much as you can the next 6 months!
that sounds fantastic! i'm so glad you got to go out for a celebration!
Post a Comment